For the first time in Orlando International Airport (MCO) history, more than 40 million passengers were reported during a 12-month period at the airport.
On a rolling 12-month basis, in April, MCO registered nearly 40.2 million total passengers.
“Reaching the 40 million passengers mark is quite an accomplishment and evidence of our need to move forward with the capacity expansion and customer service plans underway at Orlando
International Airport,” says Frank Kruppenbacher, Chairman of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. “What makes this number even more remarkable is, the current facility was designed to accommodate 24 million annual passengers.”
“The passenger growth reported for April is an indicator of predicted strong Summer traffic,” says Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. “We’re expecting an increase of almost 8 percent in airline seat capacity into the market when compared to last year.”
April Statistical Data:
- Domestic passenger traffic climbed 7.65 percent with 3,155,587 total travelers
- International passenger numbers increased 11.85 percent with 481,654 travelers
- Overall traffic was up nearly 8.2 percent with a total of 3,637,241 passengers for the month
- Year-to-date overall traffic is strong, up 10.64 percent with 14,401,897 passengers
- On a rolling 12-month basis Orlando International Airport hit 40,194,066 travelers with the addition of April passenger volume, reflecting 9.6 percent in growth
Basic MCO information:
Orlando International Airport (MCO), serves approximately 40 million passengers annually, of which over 13 percent are international. MCO is the second busiest airport in Florida and has more than 18,000 badged employees and generates over $31 billion in direct and indirect revenue for the regional economy. In its ongoing efforts to value and delight its customers, MCO has embarked on a series of Capital Improvements valued at over $1.3 billion and has approved designing a new South Terminal project all aimed at enhancing The Orlando Experience®.
Source: Orlando Greater Aviation Authority